Sunday, February 3, 2013

Safe and sound, shopped and settled

The flight from NYC to Johannesburg was on an airbus340-600? and Jo-berg to Maseru on an Embraer 145/135 (for those of you that like these details.) The beginning of my 14 (!) hour flight was a little distressing in that I thought my steerage section of the plane was being denied little tv sets, but lo and behold I was in a seat that had the tv tucked away in a sneaky spot (worth the extra leg room). Regardless, I mostly read Bitterblue on my kindle and attempted to sleep (unsuccessfully) and snacked out of frustration that I couldn't sleep. Landings were smooth, transfer uneventful though definitely slowed by slow security. The flight to Maseru was only 45 minutes, and the view out of the window was great- lots of mountains, plateaus, large crevices in the landscape.

Upon arrival to Maseru, I was impressed that all the luggage was unloaded and carried into the very small terminal by one man and his one cart. I was less impressed that my luggage did not make it, and regretfully informed my Baylor people that we would have to come back to the airport in 3 hours to hopefully rescue my bag. In the meantime, we saw the cottage, went to the mall where I got a dress (just in case I was going to change pre-bag arrival), and 550 maloti of groceries, which Khiba and Thabiso were aghast at, and I was thrilled because I had just bought a ton of food for $55. We had some KFC for lunch and headed back to the airport where my bag was thankfully awaiting. One more time back to the cottage, and I thanked my new companions for their help this morning, they left and I went to settling in to my new digs.

The cottage is way more posh that I anticipated, very much like any beach house in NJ. I showered like it was my job, made some roobios tea (also I bought rooibos oatmeal!!) unpacked, and am now catching up the blog, then reading about some pediatric HIV to have some foundation for tomorrow.

Pictures tomorrow when I can get my own computer/cel phone on the Baylor wirless.


1 comment:

  1. I tracked your flight on my phone ... to the actual point where I could watch the virtual plane roll down the runway when you landed. Very comforting. :-) But you disappeared over Nairobi for a while. Not comforting.

    Keep the blog posts coming!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete